1985 Ford F150 clutch won't disengage

Asked by Oct 27, 2009 at 09:36 PM about the 1985 Ford F-150

I have a 1985 300 6 cylinder F150 and I recently replaced the clutch. After replacing the pressure plate, clutch pad, throwout bearing, and the slave and master cylinders, the clutch still won't disengage. We bled the cylinders, and still nothing happened. The slave cylinder extends against the release fork about one inch. I've included a picture of the slave cylinder with the clutch pedal depressed

11,845

I am slightly concerned where you mention it "STILL" does not disengage. Was this the ORIGINAL reason for the clutch replacement ??? I can tell that the clutch hydraulics are working as it has snapped the plastic retainer as it is supposed to do. I am led to believe you have a clutch fork problem. Either it has gotten bent or the pivot assembly on which it mounts is out of adjustment giving it the wrong pivot angle to the clutch plate. I am thinking your Clutch fork is bent ... OR plan ol Defective clutch :( Good Luck

70

Ok I have a 1985 ford f150 I just replaced the Cluch master cylinder and I bled ith master cylinder but I can get my Cluch to go in gear when it's not running and whene I go and start it I can not get it to go in gear

70

55

I had this exact same problem several months ago. I will take sometime to bleed the clutch slave cylinder. The clutch slave cylinder does not bleed the same way as brake master cylinder. First never apply any force to clutch pedal while the bleeder screw is open. Step 1. Fill the clutch master cylinder to about 1 inch below the rim, Then replace the cap. Step 2. Open the bleeder screw on the clutch slave cylinder. Count to fifty, Repeat step one and then step 2. After repeating these steps for several hours You should be able to put your transmission into gear without pumping the clutch pedal more than once.

15

I was having a similar problem with my 1995 F-150 with 5speed manual trans. With the engine running it wouldn't go into gear intermittently. When it did go into gear it didn't feel like the clutch was releasing properly. I replaced the clutch slave valve and made several attempts to bleed it but the problem continued. I was convinced that the synchronizes were bad and I was contemplating rebuilding the transmission. After further investigation I found the shifter bushings on top of the transmission were bad. I replaced the bushing kit ($14.95) and now it goes into gear easily every time