Do newer enviromentally friendly engines fit into older vehicles?

65

Asked by Jun 18, 2008 at 10:55 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Suburban

I just want to know if the newer engines are still able to fit into an older body. I love my truck. I would like to improve what I have without buying a new truck. My body and frame are still great, and she still looks good. I like things like the cylinder deactivation. Although she is older she only averaged 6000 miles a year before I got it.

sorry,no.

8,185

Anything is possible with enough money...But that would be wasteful, and would kinda defeat the purpose.

5

physically yes, but otherwise no. enviro friendly=computer/electronically controlled and to do that would not be cost effective.

3,615

There are plenty of ways you can improve your gas mileage and get more power out of your engine such as upgrading your exhaust system, upgrading to a more powerful ignition coil, using better spark plugs, and many more. I've heard of older Suburbans getting up to 20 mpg with a few upgrades that will pay for themselves quite easily if you continue to maintain your vehicle properly.

235

It can but everything will have to be adjusted for the engine to fit into the vehicle. and everything that is needed for the engine will have to be there.

35

Look into a new FI system, I'm running an Edelbrock Performer MPFI system on my vortech 5.7, with a TH-400 and 4.11's/33's, she will cruise around 65 mph, spinning hard, and still gets around 16/17 mpg.