where is the other vin numbers on my 1979 chevy malibu besides the dash?is there a sticker on the door?mine dont have one...

Asked by Dec 22, 2014 at 06:10 PM about the 1979 Chevrolet Malibu

looking for the vins on my 1979 chevy malibu 2 dr.

79,265

The legal vehicle identification number (VIN) is the one embossed on the tag on top of the dash board that's visible through the windshield on the driver's side. Originally there was a sticker on the driver's door that had the VIN stamped on it. Same number. But after 36 years it's probably either illegible or gone. Oh, and since it was made before 1981 the VIN will NOT be 17 characters. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful

az dmv wants it t have a level 2 inspection because the door tag is missing,,,to change the title into my name..

79,265

Is the tag on the dash present and legible? That's the legal VIN. I bet what's throwing them off is that it's not 17 characters. See if you can get a factory shop manual. Faxon Automobile Literature in Riverside, CA probably has a reprint reasonably priced. Or try eBay. But the VIN on the dash is the only legal one for the car. Thank you for the best answer click too! HTH. - Jim

yes its very legible,thanks

79,265

You're welcome, glad to help. - Jim

50

Is there anywhere else besides the door jam and the vin plate on the windshield. I have the one on the windshield but the door jam is gone, car has been repainted before I purchased the car and Nebraska requires 2 locations. Where would another one be, can't find it anywhere on the internet.

79,265

Does Nebraska require the 2 VIN locations for ALL vehicles or just 1981 and forward? What year and make vehicle are we talking about? -Jim

50

More than likely and I have a 1979 Malibu. Back half car, so nothing is stock past the front seats, and the blower motor area has been removed so no stamping there either.

79,265

Check the frame rails just behind the radiator. In the '60s GM used to stamp the VIN there. If it is there it'll be on the top of the frame rail, most likely on the passenger's side. Not sure if they were still doing that by the late '70s but it's worth a look. HTH. -Jim

50

I will check tomorrow and let you know if I have any luck.....anywhere else in possible spots to go.....worried that I might have to pull the body off the frame to find it....just hope not

79,265

I did poke around some on the internet and saw that the VIN may be stamped under the hole in the firewall for the heater blower wheel. Looks like to view it the whole heater/air conditioner box needs to be removed from the firewall. From the photos I saw it's hidden, on purpose no doubt, behind the heater/air conditioner box. HTH. -Jim

50

I saw that one also but the whole heater assembly has been removed, most all of the Malibu's from 78-81 have had them taken out and then install a big piece of metal in its place.....so that one is a no go.

50

No luck in that spot, any other ideas? Also, I have a call and email out to GM heritage center to see if they can help.

79,265

The GM Heritage Center is probably your best bet. Look on Allied Vaughn's website as well. They have free downloadable information for vintage GMs as well. HTH. -Jim