how does the positive battery cable come off the starter under the 283 engine of a 67 chevy malibu?

Asked by Mar 17, 2007 at 01:29 PM about the 1967 Chevrolet Malibu

My 67 Chev Malibu completely conked out. Power went dead. I'm guessing (due to the cable being on fire) that the positive lead from the battery (one of two leads that comes off the battery) goes under the engine to apparently the starter. How is this cable attached? And any other advice on how to change that cable and what other problems could have caused this power outage? Thanks in advance for any help.

31,275

I would probably check in 67 Malibu forums. Those guys know everything!

13,095

5 years later and I hop;e you fixed your starter. Just go under a jacked up car and find the starter. The big red wire cable (if not burned) will be what your looking for. It may be on the top of the starter. I an extension wrench will fit on it, great. If not get ready with the band-aids for the knuckles. Remove the cable, and follow it until you find the burned part. May be at the exhaust pipe or manifold. See if it came lose from a connector and fix it before putting in a new able. Also measure and make sure it is the correct length.

19,985

bout time someone answered, that car is maybe scrap by now,but someone else will use the good info, just remove the hot wire before starting the job or you'll see what 400 amps can light up