R & R 2001 cougar automatic transmission

60

Asked by Jan 29, 2011 at 09:10 PM about the 2001 Mercury Cougar

Does anyone know of a site that will show detail on how to remove the automatic tranny in a 2001 cougar?

11,245

Best left to the professionals as it is not for the faint of heart. Involves removal of the front subframe and support of engine while the transmission goes out the bottom.

60

Mike - So can the cradle be lowered enough for clearance or do you have to drop it compleatly?

11,245

Complete removal hence the support of the engine while it is out

60

Mike - Thanks looks like I will be using my skid loader ans chains to hold up the engine.

50

I'm doimg the same job on my 1999 cougar and what a pain.i'm at the point now wish i would have taking it somewhere,but no funds.i'm at the point now of doing the flywheel to converter bolts,i take it you have to remove the oil pan and aluminum caseing to the block asmbly to get at the bolts?????any help and whats the best way of lowering the subframe to the floor while raising the car at the same time.doing this in my garage with no lift..........

60

I did this transmission awhile ago but I will never forget what a pain is the a- - it was. As far as the converter bolt you should have a removable rubber inspection flap at the side or the bottom dont remember but just take that off and you will be able to get to the fly wheel/converter nuts. Just use a big scre driver and turn the fly wheel to each nut I think there is 4. Dropping the cradle I lifted the car as far as my floor jacks would go then places my floor jack under the rear of the cradle loosed those bolts then did the front bolts with another jack stand under the front about 2 inchs away. then lowerd the rear to the ground...dont forget to unbolt the rack-n-pinion and that truly sucked...I cut most the bolts holding the heat shield on then just replaced with bolts and nuts.