car won't turn over, then I lost power

Asked by Oct 16, 2019 at 10:18 AM about the 1952 Chevrolet Deluxe

Have never had any previous problems with the starter, but last night after
driving to a friend's, I attempted to restart the car upon leaving, put my finger on
the button, nothing not a sound. Then I lost power to the lights, I figured that
was the thermal regulator indicating a short somewhere.  Battery is fine.  Think
the starter would go just like that with no previous warning?

15,935

yes they can , make sure all the electrical contacts are clean and tight first , I thought I had a bad starter till I replaced the negative batt cable and it started right up ,

Best Answer Mark helpful
77,155

Are you sure you're in a 1952 Chevy Deluxe? They didn't have a starter button.

I guess mine is special then cause my 1952 Chevrolet deluxe has a starter button. It's shown in the owners manual as well, so it's not imaginary!

77,155

I guess that's a problem when you ancient and think you can remember everything. We used to have a Chevy dealership in the family and I've been working on Chevy's since about 1955. I thought the push-button was available in the early 50's Olds & Pontiac, but not Chevy. Follow beatupchevy's advice.

Thanks beatupchevy, just cleaned everything and I have power! Started right up, thanks again!