Car won't turn over.

Asked by Aug 25, 2016 at 10:39 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I bought a 1995 z28 Camaro automatic, The key has a resister on it, and the resister got chipped. Now only my lights and radio will come on. I can turn the key all the way, and I don't hear anything, the lights stay on. I've changed the whole ignition tumbler and key, it still does the same thing. Any positive comments are very appreciated

20,975

I believe you are referring to the transponder chip on the master key. That chip is encoded to the ECM and anti-theft module and ignition. If you switch to a new chipped key & ignition, you will have to re-encode it to the ATM. There MAY be something in the owner's manual on how to do that without having an original master key present.

The new key does not have any type of chip on it. Is there any way to disable the ATM?

20,975

No, the ATM is encoded to work with the engine's computer or ECM. At a minimum you would need a new reprogrammed ECM stripped of any anti-theft/passlock programming (they do sell "tweaked" ECMs mainly for the performance/racing crowd who don't need all the anti-theft stuff, but again not cheap). The replacement key you must have gotten is likely just a regular key blank, suitable only for making a valet key. You may want to go to a locksmith or dealer and see about getting a new transponder master key. It will cost you some money but still less than trying to bypass the encoded modules.

Best Answer
17,255

When the security system acts up or is triggered on gm cars they will still turn over, run for literally a second then die. You have other issues