starting / running issues 1986 Chevy C-10

Erik Herman

Asked by Jun 27, 2015 at 09:46 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet C10

Starts right up. drive it for a bit. good. stop somewhere and go to start and it just turns over and over. Go back several hours later and starts right up again. Fuel good. Spark good. Bad ignition switch or bad HEI? Actually a 1986 c-10 305 4bbl automatic

Josh Gobin

Sounds like maybe the fuel pump. Once it has time to cool it works again. Or a fuel filter

Sounds like a failing ignition control module (in the distributor). When it quits, check again for spark. If you have no spark that's my first suspect. HTH. -Jim

Mark Tucker

For years the problem your having sounds like a bad ignition switch ..

Erik Herman

It was the Electronic Spark Control (ESC) up underneath the dash above glove box. Amazing! Never knew about that part and I've worked on a ton of GM's from the 80's. You can teach an old dog new tricks! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Glad you got it going! Thanks for letting know. - Jim