All dash warning lights on and steering stiff

Asked by Jul 01, 2016 at 08:27 AM about the 1994 Nissan Vanette

Driving along and all warning lights come on,
engine still running, but steering stiffer than usual.
Engine isn't stalling and once turned off, starts
again ok, but all lights come on and don't go off.

65,605

Sounds like you blew a belt on the engine.

Mechanic on the phone said it may be the alternator belt?

65,605

Could be, you say the steering got stiff which would include the power steering. I was trying to look up the belts or belts for your car but cannot find 1994 Nissan Vanette. What model car and size engine do you have?

65,605

Looks like there are 2 belts on the engine, Just get both replaced since one or both have come off.

It's a Nissan vanette cargo 2.3D

Would that affect all the dash warning lights to come on?

65,605

It sure would, so don't be driving the vehicle as one of the belts you blew could be the one driving the water pump, which means it would overheat. Just need to get the alternator, water pump, & power steering belts replaced. Always look for a reason why the belt came off or broke. If it is just a worn belt then that explains it.

Thank you for your help. I have asked around and people saying the same. She is parked up safe for the time being. She has had a lot of work done, water pump being one, but not the other belts, have someone coming to look later. Seems it could be a worn belt after all.

It has also been extremely wet here which one of the mechanics said wouldn't help things as all her workings are underneath