My 2008 Ford Bantam 1.6 rocam van only started "overheating" AFTER I replaced the thermostat housing. The only reason I replaced the housing is because there was a slight leak.

Asked by Jan 04, 2014 at 01:40 AM about the 2007 Ford Bantam

I again replaced the new thermostat
suspecting that it was sticking but still no
joy. I tried to remove any air from the
system and also replaced the water pump
and eventually had the radiatior removed
and thoroughly cleaned but still the gauge
would sometimes move towards the hot
mark. The fan works as it kicks in for a very
long time until eventually the gauge drops
to normal and fan will switch off. I also
thought I'd try removing the thermostat
altogether to see if that would help nothing.
When I drive slowly from start the gauge
behaves but as soon as there's a bit of
strain on the engine the fan comes on. Also
when the fan is on I'd give a hard rev and it
cuts of and gauge moves down to normal. I
put overheating in inverted commas as It
doesn't really seem to actually be
overheating, the wind from the fan is cool,
take into account that the heat thermo
sensor is new as it comes with the new
housing so I'm not sure if there could be a
blockage or if the new thermo sensor may
be faulty. Finally the correct type and
amount if antifreeze is in the cooling
system. I've had this vehicle for 5 years and
had it serviced regularly

I eventually managed to find the problem which was really a minor one. It had nothing to do with all that I obviously replaced or tried to repair. The fault was merely an incorrectly replaced heater pipe, ie. the 2 heater pipes which fit onto the thermostat housing were mistakenly switched by the mechanics assistant. I eventually had a look at a neighbour's Ford Ikon's water hose layout and discovered the flaw, which frankly I didn't think would solve the heating problem but voila, after returning each pipe to it's original position, there's no more overheating. Shoo.

Thank u so much GregB1023 I hope it's just my problem on the bakkie too!

Samkelo Dlamini

av done that GregB and av changed the top gasket but still its overheating stressed now about the car

hi there...i have had the same issue...changed changed thermostat housing because it had a small leak....then my van started over i changed water pump...was still over heating...fluched raidiator...was still over heating...until we found that the pipe from ur water bottle that is getting connected to the thermostat housing was bocked...which caused the water to not flow correctly..if you disconect the pipe from your water bottle and start your car/van water shud push thru there...if not...remove pipe and has a plasic part inside the the pipe on both sides... remove the plasitc and clean pipe.... put plastic back in if u want to...but i did not put it reverse osmosis water in ur vehicle...hope this helps

if u clean pipe and water does not push....then water pump is ur problem