Hi, I have a Ford Bantam 1300 Leisure, it will randomly die and then it's hard to get it started again, it smells like it's flooded when this happens, any ideas?

30

Asked by Apr 05, 2014 at 09:31 AM about the 2001 Ford Bantam

22,415

maybe the injectors are leaking?

30

I'm don't have much knowledge on engines, please forgive if I sound stupid, the model I have I a carburator if that helps a bit, I've checked pipes, did a service, plugs cables, filters, etc

22,415

Oh, a carbed bantam- if you smell gas and it doesn't start, then it IS flooded- something wrong with the carb, maybe the choke is sticking- take the air cleaner off and start the car when it's cold- the choke should be on, covering the carb opening- as the engine warms up the choke should open, letting more air in- if you need to start the car when it's flooded, hold the gas pedal all the way down until it fires-

30

Thanks for the info jamnblues, unfortunately the choke goes down as normal, it's been behaving this week until yesterday, it's been idling normally until I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, the continues stop and go eventually caused it to start jerking and missing as if it wants to die down, so it gets worse the hotter the engine gets.

30

Is there anyone that has a workshop repair manual for this make of vehicle, I've searched everywhere with no luck

30

It definitely has something to do with my fuel intake, the last time it died and didn't want to start I disconnected the fuel line from the fuel pump. After a few turns it fired and idled. It still raises the question if it's the fuel pump, plugs, cables, carb....

16,665

1/ to jamnblues no wonder you figured injectors, how would you know the South African rules. A carb,points,capacitors and probably no codes to scan. 2/ to Jacques - I'll Google and see what sites pop up under Free Workshop Manuals and post back. Don't you have Google Search?

16,665

Googled: Free workshop manuals Ford Bantam are all kinds of sites popped up : these two said "Free pdf " 1/fordservicemanuals.org 2/allbookez.com

10

Hi guys I have Ford bantam leisure 1600i 2001 model The car uses too much petrol when I reach 350 km the tank is under half tank (quarter tank) please help

10

Hi There I bought a 1600 bantam leisure 4 weeks back same problem, I serviced the carburetor I changed the ignition electronic points and problem still was present. Wednesday I replaced the coil aftermarket boch R385 and walla car working like a bomb. listen to your coil if you here a click sound while idle its faulty almost sold the car darn coil