fuel

50

Asked by Oct 18, 2007 at 10:05 PM about the 1994 Dodge Ram Van

My 94 van runs fine on a full tank,but when it gets down to a little over a 1/4 tank it begins to run like it is running out of gas or starved for gas . When I fill it up it come around and runs fine.This happens sometimes on a 1/2 tank. It has a thirty gallon tank....I have replaced the fuel filter .This all started when I ran out of gas once,before that I could run it almost empty and no problems.....
De-Chileray

195

sounds like pickup (filter/sock) in the tank problem I would advise verify correct gauge operation if ok and problem persists remove inspect pump assy. due to age if your there replace pump good luck.

50

pat.....Thanks for the response,please excuse my ignorance ...what is a pickup or filter/sock in the tank problem ? The gauge is fine....When yoos say inspect pump assembly , are yoos refering to the fuel pump? and is it in the gas tank ? Is hard to get to? If I go that deep yoos are saying it would be smart to change it ! Ifn I go that deep shouldn't I also drain the tank just incase it is water causing the problemo ? Thanks (Seattle SeaSlops lose again this week! To the bottom feeders)

43,875

There is an on-pump filter which is basically a sock assembly that fits over the part of the pump (pickup) which actually sucks gas into the pump. You would need to drop the gas tank, drain as much gasoline as you could out of it, and remove the fuel pump assembly and replace it. Then replace the fuel filter outside the tank as well. It's a fairly involved job, especially if you don't have a lift or some other way to get under the vehicle, as gas tanks, even when almost empty, are bulky and heavy. I used to use a "third arm" kind of set-up when I did this as a mechanic -- a crank-style lift that I could use to support the tank while I put the straps back on and tightened them.

50

little, I'm getting a clearer view, thanks for your respones and knowledge.....but from my discription of my problem do yoos feel that is my problem...and ifn it is what could it cost to have a shop do the work (ballpark).Ifn I let it go and continue to drive it what can I expect to be the outcome? Today it started to foul up before I reached a half tank, but it always seems to come around when I fill it back up. I interpret "fairly involed" as not your garden variety driveway type job...Thanks littlehorn! Slops lose by 3 De-Chile