Distributor cap positioning

Asked by Aug 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM about the 1975 Plymouth Valiant

My 1975 Plymouth Valiant is dieseling.  Some of the things I am checking are the
spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor.  I made a diagram to make sure the correct
spark plugs connect to the correct distributor cap towers.  However, I forgot to diagram
which side the part which looks like a large vaccum cap with a whole in it goes.  The
clamps are such that I can clamp the distributor cap in with the rubber part on the left
or the right.  Can someone please tell me which way I should clamp it back in?  
Thanks so much!!

7,065

That's why I recommend taking pictures of spark plug wiring, vacuum lines or distributor caps before removing for any reason. Install one way and try it to see if it works (you'll know in seconds as the engine will run bad or not at all, but wont ruin the engine) and if it doesn't run good switch it around.