Mitsubishi magna - spulttery, coolant reservoir overheating - (fine whilst car is cool, problems start when engine warms up)

Asked by Nov 26, 2013 at 08:49 PM about the 1991 Mitsubishi Magna

I have an old 1991 Mitsubishi Magna. The poor old girl over the past 2 months has been spluttery when accelerating but fine when idling.  About three weeks ago I heard the engine humming after I turned the car off. The coolant tank was empty and steaming. The next day I topped up the coolant reservoir and after a short trip and when the car had warmed up, I heard the coolant reservoir boiling.

I then took my car to my mechanic and they replaced some heat hoses and some sparks plugs as they thought that was the issue.

For a week afterwards, driving my car seemed fine. I then noticed the spluttering again a week ago.  Yesterday and today, the car was spluttery and sounded like it would stall when idling at lights. It has gone through a lot of coolant and it was been overheating again. It seems to drive perfectly fine, then once the engine warms up the problems occur.

That’s a lot of info but can anyone give me any clues to what the problem might lie with? The car has had problems in the past two years with fuel pumps and a dirty fuel filter. Thanks for your help.

65

(1) Check the oil, if it is milky white, you may have a cracked head or a blown head gasket. (2) Flush out the entire cooling system, you may have a build up of sludge and shit in the system. (3) Or, its time to replace the old car.