Replacement carberator for my 1973 series 3 109" 2.25 petrol engine

5

Asked by Aug 21, 2014 at 06:39 PM about the 1973 Land Rover Series III

What is the exact carberator I would need to replace the one on my vehicle. I have heard a Weber 2 barrel. Is there any other specs I should know about it?
thanks

25

I would use Rovers North as a reference and they are very helpful over the phone. The original is probably either a Zenith or Solex. I thought Weber was an aftermarket.

5

I have purchased this vehicle on Ebay and have not received it yet. I am told it has a Zenith carb on it. It starts up right away but does not perform well at all and I am looking for the best carb to replace it with. After reading information by TerryAnn Wakeman I see there is only 5 carbs to consider and any with its jets on the bottom will clog up easier. I believe I will use the Rochester BV 31mm 167cfm 30.9 venturi. I can find one on Ebay but it has an automatic choke(BC) instead of a manual choke(BV). I would prefer an autochoke anyway. Does anyone know if it would be a problem to use an automatic choke instead? From reading several articles I think every carb has its problems.

25

I have the Zenith on mine and it seems to work fine. It delivers fuel across the range. It sounds as if maybe you have never driven one of these beautiful vehicles before. Apologize in advance if I am incorrect. I will not apologize for calling the Land Rover beautiful. Drive it first and see what you think. Take it for what it is, a 41 year old, 4 cylinder engine that in it's best day from the factory only had 80hp and drum brakes all around. I understand were you are coming from, but I would drive it first then start buying parts. I also frequent TerryAnn's site she is a resourceful person (never met her).

5

You are correct that I have never driven one. It is the owner that sold it to me that said he had problems and he has several Rovers and has had them for years. I do hope they don't steer like a tank but I am hoping to love it and will be counting on it to perform and not break down when I am in Belize depending on it. There will be a lot of dirt flying in the air on the dirt roads. I do understand it does only have the 80 hp and wont expect it to perform like my AC Cobra replica (450HP). I have also owned Datsun 1600's with the Solex carbs, at least I think they had Solex carbs as its been a while since I owned one. The previous 109 owner said the person before him drove it all over in Florida. All I was told was I need to fix the carb.

25

Well, congratulations on your purchase if I haven't said it already and your ownership of a replica Cobra. Here is a link to a single barrel Webber carb. and a Zenith rebuild kit. http://www.rovahfarm.com/seriesfuelsystempage1.htm Other links: http://www.roversnorth.com/Land-Rover-Parts/34 http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/? page=1&Dropdowndescription=Land+Rover+Series+III&Category=FUE L+SYSTEM I hope I was of some help.

5

I appreciate your input. I had heard of roversnorth but not rovahfarm, thank you! I will be looking for a used hard top for my rover and havent found one yet.

109ROVER,VERY POWERFUL AND NOT COMPETITIVE AS IT IS JUST SLOW BUT SURE IN ITS 4SPEED AND THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SINGLE BARREL CARB FUEL FLOW. -NAME:GEOFREY KALINGANA LIKANDO--TOWN/COUNTRY:LUSAKA-ZAMBIA.