1964 ford falcon 2spd trans 170 cid replace fylwheel?

10

Asked by Jun 08, 2013 at 07:35 PM about the 1964 Ford Falcon

was wondering is the ring gear or flexplate replaceable my car grinds on in certain spots! not sure what I need to look for? wether or not a flywheel or a ring gear that has to be put on my torque converter or what thanx!!!

could you ring gear have been installed upside down (crank direction, instead of transmission direction?)

10

i guess I should of said my starter stayed engaged an tore my ring gear up. i not sure if flywheel is part of the torque con or is seperate . I no the is a replaceble flexplate but ut does not a the part the starter hits THANX

25,595

The Flexplate is separate from the Torque Converter. There is no flywheel - the engine is balanced internally and the Torque converter is bolted to the Flexplate. By the way, it is nearly impossible to install the flexplate backwards due to the offset of the bolt holes.

short of misalignment or missing bolts is alls I could come up with~ had one CRACK on my 73 suburban and was able to put a new one in with only loosening the mounts to be able to put a wrench in there...you're right it won't let you put it in the other way around...but it is conceivable~

I had a bent crank 400 chevy rebuild---did not know until all the accessories were installed...still ran okay...so cheap-- buyer did not even care~...so "sleeping dogs lie" if it's not givin' you trouble..forgettaboutit~

you could look at the starter to see if the pinion gear is worn to merely a knub---happens when one tries to start an already running engine...modern interlocks will not permit this to happen~

25,595

Good one! Worn out Bendix.

10

well from my understanding the ring gear is part of the torque con.

315

Its not.