car keeps turning over

10

Asked by May 24, 2012 at 08:54 PM about the 1963 Ford Falcon

the car keeps turning over with no key in the ignition . how do you disconnect the ignition  how many wires are on the ignition switch

175

Do you mean it runs normally? Does it run rough? Or is the starter engaged and turning the engine? If it runs rough for a few seconds it is dieseling, cause fast idle, preignition, high carbon deposits.

7,145

I had the same thing happen to me on my '69 Galaxie. It sounds like you need a new starter for your Falcon, it's grounding out. The bendix is engaging but not disengaging and thus grabbing the flywheel, turning the engine over. . Disconnect the negative side of the battery and all power going to the starter will stop. Take the starter to Autozone or similar. They will check it out on a load machine and tell you if it' needs replacing. Then replace the starter and hook the battery back up. It should be OK., if the starter checks out OK, then it's got to be the starter solonoid but I would checkout the starter first. Good luck. Kenny.

No-No-No- You have a shorted solonoid..Replace it,and it should be fine.. If the problem persists-You need a new ignition switch..(the main body,,Not the key-switch,itself)..hope this helps...

QUICK-CHECK-The solonoid,is on the passenger-side Shock-Tower..Hook up battery,and remove "B" wire..if it is still turning over- It"s your solonoid.. 10 dollar part-at any parts-store....

"S wire-My Bad!! un hook it..

175

what size engine is in the vehicle?

347 motor