Ford C-Max Gear Change Cable problems

Asked by Jan 10, 2009 at 03:52 PM about the 2004 Ford C-Max

I've had a problem with the Gear Change cables that run from the Gear lever to the Gearbox. The cable(s) seem to come adrift from the mechanism (car gets stuck in whatever gear you were in) that hold the cables at the gearbox end, also there seems to be a lot of play in the gear lever so when first is selected the gear lever almost returns to the centre. The ball joint (at the gear lever end) also releases itself from the universal joint (that ones that controls the up / down movement) meaning that you suddenly again get stuck in the gear you are in (until you re-attatch it).

The only way to re-attatch the cable at the gearbox end is to thread your hand up under the engine until you locate the cable and then put it back on the v-fork arrangment.

Anyway I've bought a new cable (£86 !!!) and in an effort to save some money I've been to a couple of local garages who were both unsure how much effort it would take to replace the cable and that they would have to have a look to see if they even wanted to attempt it!

So my questions are, does anybody now how hard a job this is, has anybody experienced the same problem, any general advice ?

Regards Gary.

50

Maybe mine navigation is different from yours but the fitting would be the same with you i think ,thus you can have a look at [url=http://oemcargps]the video of mounting[/url] which i refered to .

10

Yes I have the same problem......."The ball joint (at the gear lever end) also releases itself from the universal joint (that ones that controls the up / down movement) meaning that you suddenly again get stuck in the gear you are in (until you re-attatch it)."....just looking for quotes now but looks like a £400 replacement gear section!!!