1970 MGB Roadster won't start. Any ideas?

Asked by Jul 12, 2010 at 10:27 PM about the 1970 MG MGB Roadster

I can not get my Roadster started.  I was getting a click with my alternator light coming on.  Now I get nothing; no lights no click.  I took the battery in and it was good.  Any help would be great.

10

if good battery the most likely culprit is the stater motor solenoid.with the battery reinstalled get an assistant to turn the key to the start position whilst you tap the solenoid.a hammer shaft is good for this,but remember you are only trying to jar loose a sticking electromagnet and not breaking the starter, so lots of light taps is the way to go.the solenoid is the cylinder on the top of the starter where the main and signal wires are connected,good luck.

5

Of Course there are a few reasons and checking the soleniod is a great place to start. I currently have 3 MG s and have rebuilt a 4th (sold it) I have come across this on one of mine and also someone elses while on a road trip. The ground strap rusted where it sets against the body causing no ground and I forgot to put the ground strap between the trans and trans crossmember. A simple check is to run a jumper cable from the engine to a good grouns on the body. good luck