How do the rear brakes on the Rover P6 work?

35

Asked by Jun 25, 2012 at 06:37 AM about the 1972 Rover 3500

I'm trying to give mine a new set of pads but I can't get the inb/d pistons to wind back in! I know there is a specialist tool available but, I've read that you don't really need one? Is it just a question of turning the piston itself, where it meets the back of the pad? Are they simply threaded & is that thread handed the same on both sides? They seem really stiff on mine, I've only managed to move one side one turn, can I lubricate it with something? I don't want to put anything on that might eat away at the seals.

210,835

From my experience, if the Caliper piston has two grooves in it that criss cross like a X, those pistons have to be turned clockwise with a special tool. If not, then a regular C-clamp will work. So if you have the push in ones and they are still stuck, open up the bleeder screw to release some of the pressure, then try pushing them in.

65

The pistons in the rear brakes on the P6 screw in. You can use the special tool, or you can use a screwdriver or similar tool laid across the piston to rotate it.

2,155

draper sell the tool for about eight pounds and it sits on a 3/8ths ratchet