mg batt

35

Asked by May 20, 2010 at 02:45 PM about the 1974 MG Midget

1974 mg midget  mileage: 122,000.  I recently bought a 1974 midget. I immediately replaced the gearbox. In the process, I replaced the GM alternator with the original Lucas. I also replaced the battery. For some reason, the alternator is not charging the battery and appears to be running on battery alone. It dies during operation and would not start until jumped. Other than it is a midget, do you have any ideas what could be wrong? I have the schematic, but wire colors appear to have been changed. There are three wires exiting the alternator. I assume something is broken or not there. I do not think it worked properly when I purchased it.

35

could be worth checking you tube showing you how it should be wired up

35

The Midget's were notorious for shorts and small voltage drains. Lights are a culprit, if you are new to these cars they are fun yet require lots of attention. The old nickname for FIAT's is better suited for MG's... (F.I.A.T. - fix it again Tony, convert it to fix it again Tinsley)