1977 toyota landcruiser dim headlights

10

Asked by Mar 01, 2017 at 10:59 PM about the 1977 Toyota FJ40

installed new halogen headlights in my fj40 but  they appear very dim . I've been told it's usually a grounding problem . any suggestions as to where to start?  I've installed new ground cable at battery.

113,905

Check the sockets for the headlamps, your looking for any little burnt marks, if you find some replace the connector, then check the ground wire for each headlight, follow it back too where it is connected and make sure it is clean and tight, then check for the proper voltage at the headlight connections, a voltage drop can also,cause weak headlights. On you next lamp replacement you should think about running LED headlamp bulbs, I put some in my Yukon and really like the way they illuminate the road and what is way out there in front like a car on the roadside, the lines on the highway, signs, animals, I liked them so much I put some on my motorcycle. And they are really white light, now if they can't see me they weren't looking. Anyway hope this helps.

6,745

maybe the lenses are cloudy or dirty

10

problem is isolated to driver side low beam only . tested ground , and even jumped it completely , but no difference . Suspect issue is at point where low beam 12 volt line splits. Anyone know from experience if that is in wiring harness or at switch??