Brake lights

Asked by Mar 22, 2011 at 10:15 PM about the 1978 Datsun 280Z

The brake lights and tail lights on my 78 280 won't turn off. I don't know if it is a
coincidence but while driving just before I noticed the problem I felt something on
the floor under foot. It turned out to be some sort of clear plastic plug. Round,
clear somewhat soft plastic. Could that have something to do with it?

15

Im not sure about the plastic plug but your break like run off a a small switch which is located by the pedal itself. that is most likely where your problem is coming from.

That plastic slug belongs on the metal brake pedal actuator bar above the rubber foot pad. It serves as a stop for the plunger of the stop light switch on the foot pedal assembly. When the plastic slug falls out of the pedal bar the plunger of the switch is now extended all the way out turning on the brake lights.