engine swap

Asked by Sep 25, 2010 at 04:00 PM about the 1964 Ford Galaxie

Hey everyone,
I recently received my uncles '64 convertible. I plan to do some "updating" on it
by putting a modern suspension and a custom interior. I also plan to put a late
model engine in it either from a Mustang, F150 or a Mark VII. Does anyone know
if this is possible of am i just better off going with a new crate motor and putting
EFI in it?

go with a creat motor,forget the EFI,unless you got plenty of $$$$$$$$$,leave it as original as possoble if the car is in good shape.

I put a 460 in my 63. Crites restoration has motor mounts, headers, and anything else you need to do the conversion if you want to go that route.

The question is how much you want to spend, and how much you want to gain. Keep in mind that the modern Romeo engines do not have the low end torque of the engine you have so you are likely to find the car slower off the line. It also depends on what the donor engine is from, and what you do to it. A stock 76 460, for example, puts out less horsepower and less torque than a late 80s 351 from a Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis plus it weighs a LOT more, so it is going to handle worse.