Warning lights when battery dead?

Asked by Mar 21, 2015 at 05:28 PM about the 2004 Fiat Punto

I'm fairly sure my battery is dead. I can't start the engine and the headlights are very
dim, plus the internal light dims when I turn the air con on, etc etc.

I'm new to cars, so I've been looking up the meanings of all the dashboard warning
lights. A lot of them are supposed to come on when the key is in the ignition and then
turn off when the engine is started, right? I can't start the engine, so the lights are
staying on. I don't need to worry about it being anything more than the battery do I?

142,885

Not just when key is in ignition, but when turned to 'run' but not start. Then all warning lights come on to show you or an inspector that they work. Then they go off when engine is started, or are supposed to anyway. So to answer your question...no, no worries except battery or loose or corroded terminals on the post(s). If your 2004 has original battery, it's way past it's life span

Best Answer

Okay, thanks :) I have seen the car working and it was delivered (driven) to me from 15 miles away, so it must just be the battery.