Is my 1963 corvair convertible a spider?

Asked by Feb 13, 2015 at 05:43 PM about the 1963 Chevrolet Corvair

In 1963 the turbo version was considered an option and therefor did not change model # of the vehicle  (ex. 30967, 3 indicates a 1963, 09 indicates 900 series Monza, and 67 indicates convertible) .  In 1964 it was considered it's own model and therefore the a change in VIN was induced.  (Ex 30667, 3 again is 1963, 06 indicates spyder, and 67 indicates a convertible)  How can I know for sure that my 1963 came out of the factory as a sypder?  It has all the badging, instrument panel is a spyder.  I'd like to see documentation.

615

You should post your question here: http://www.vv.corvair.org/ I thought the turbo started out as a separate Spyder model, that it became an optional engine in the later (1965-1969) series cars. But the folks at Virtual Vairs will know for sure!

68,725

Check the trim tag. It's a metal plate riveted to the firewall on the driver's side in the trunk compartment (I believe). In the upper left corner of the tag will be stamped the week and month the car was built, then the model year, then the model number. For example B04 is the second week of April. 63-0967 would indicate a 1963 Spyder Convertible. Also contact Allied Vaughn. For $50.00 you can get a copy of your exact car's factory to dealer invoice. That'll tell you for absolute sure if it's a Spyder if you can't find the trim tag or it's missing. Google "gm media archives" to get to Allied Vaughn's website. HTH. -Jim

1,350

The Spyder became available in late 1962 and was an option for the Monza (Coupe and Convertible) because the cars are 50+ years old many thing can happen and get changed, in general the Spyder had the turbo, and a instrument cluster with tach and other gages. The spyder also had a relief cut in the lower right rear, just past the lower grill for the big turbo exhaust. There were other differences that you can check out after doing some research. In 1965 the new body style had the CORSA as top of the line and it came with 4 single carbs BUT the Turbo was an option in both 1965 and 66 but these were not called Spyders.