Power Windows not working

Asked by Jan 31, 2016 at 08:19 PM about the 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid

My power windows do not work anymore but everything else does door locks, radio etc. I was told I would need to replace the whole fuse box. Is there anyway to fix this without having to spend $500+?

725

Is it just the driver's door panel that won't open the windows or any controls from any of the doors? Sometimes the wiring can get cracked or stretched that passes through the rubber grommet and into the sides of the dashboard area. These connections should be inspected and greased. If any wire is exposed this can cause a short in the system and the fuse can blow continuously even after being changed numerous times. If the only way is to replace the fuse box which can also be called a body control module (bcm) then look into a salvage yard or online for something cheaper with a warranty.

10

Why would it working then stop

725

You need to check/inspect the wiring from the window control switch (on the door panel to the window motor which is behind the door panel. Also any wiring that passes through the door into the dash. It could be many things but you need to start at the source. take baby steps to figure it out.

FIRST THINGS FIRST (I almost fell for taking mine to the dealership after checking all the fuses and finding them good): Check the "child safety" switch on the driver's door switch panel to make sure it's not over-riding the passenger and rear doors. After that, I'm told it's usually a short in the driver's door switch (as low as $30 on Amazon and eBay). Mine is a 2006 Civic EX 4-door, and the part numbers are easy to get by calling a dealership with a service department.

Found on my 2000 Acura EL that the wiring harness that runs through the driver's door that over time of opening & closing the door causes the window control wire to break. I have fixed it in the past by soldering & taping but that lasts a year, have also ran a separate wire but that eventually wears with the door movement so looking for a solution that possibly can reinforce the wire at the point of stress or a wire that can sustain connectivity with the wire constantly being bent with the door opening.

725

I would imagine some type of rubber or plastic conduit that you could run your wires through from the door to where it goes into the car.

Possibly a rubber conduit as a hard conduit would likely effect the door opening & closing. Tonight I place a piece of old garden hose in the area where the door would crimp the harness it appears to be working guess time will tell if it stays in place as I only used a zip tie. A conduit would require the removal of the door & the disconnection of the harness if I wanted that much work think I would try to purchase a new wiring harness.