engine swap

35

Asked by Mar 19, 2010 at 09:18 PM

i want to put a chevy 454 bb into my 79 trans am and want to know what i would have to do to make the motor fit. mods,purchases etc...?

55

Well its not at all a hard swap all you need is some new motor mounts for a Big Block :)

3,185

if you had a pontiac motor in before you need to change the mounts on the chasis to fit the mounts on the big block, ckeck for clearance for the steering column & hood. & you will need a new tranny and drive shaft. if you're using a mechanical fuel pump you will have to change the fuel line. pontiac fuel pump is on the drivers side,chevy is on the passenger side.

Fitting a big block is not a problem. The biggest obstacle will be the bonnet if you want to retain original looks. Running a performance dual plane manifold machine the surface of the manifold where the carburettor sits about 10 mm or 3/8 inch. This will lower the carburettor to give more clearance. Use a 11 inch air filter with recessed base and find a fibreglass specialist to make up a bigger scoop for your bonnet where the original shaker scoop use to sit. Mount the new scoop to the bonnet. With the bonnet closed, the air filter should sit just inside the scoop area.