Ford Bantam

Asked by Apr 28, 2016 at 01:35 PM

Hi All
So after replacing the thermostat housing on 1.6 bantam 2007 , it overheated, radiator had a hole aa well as housing.
Have replaced radiator but now pushing out white smoke and idle is irregular.
Know I've blown head gasket but could it be rings as well?
Is this a difficult repair for a 1 man band? Rings etc. And could anybody , word for word talk ne through it?
Thanks all for the time and input.

13,345

Sounds like a straight up head gasket repair! could you be talked through it sure but , what a nightmare! just let someone who knows how to do have at it, "shop" around and compare costs.

Thanks Mark, so not rings in your opinion?

13,345

Unless it was using oil before it overheated NO. blue smoke is oil in the exhaust, WHITE smoke / steam is coolant.

Made my day Mark, thanks so much for assistance..much appreciated.

Want to attempt head gasket on my own, am I making a mistake ? Finance an issue at present.

13,345

I love it when people want to learn! first get a good manual on the 1.6 rocam engine study it, read it again and again really, next make sure you have the (necessary) decent set of tool or know where you can gain access to them. Take your time be methodical take some photos as you go. I 'm sure anyone with the desire and willingness to learn can handle the bantam head gasket replacement .

Thanks again...