Catalytic converter

Asked by Sep 20, 2015 at 04:32 PM

In cutting cats off on 2001 ford
escape 6V 3.OL where would u you
cut off at...with what kind of pipe
cutter...(not torch) how would you
plug front 2 upper cats & w what &
where would one get the straight pipe
from to run out of back lower cat &
how would u attach if no access to
welder.

78,115

Why would you want to do such a thing?

I live in Florida so there are no inspections...I know about the "federal law requirements" & why a lot of the big name companies will not mess around w/ just omitting cat conv all together...& running w straight pipe so I don't need to hear all about said laws...the guy who wz doin the work left me hanging...so any help would be great. If anyone knows anyone in the jacksonville area who can come to my home & do...contact me plz...thanks... Beth

78,115

You will still have to deal with a check engine light due to the O2 sensors. But if you still want to go forward with this then a chain type pipe cutter would be your best option, cut as close to the cats as possible then have some exhaust tubing flared to go over your existing pipes where the cats were and then clamp them down. As far as someone from a shop doing this, good luck, fines are very stiff for any shop caught doing such a thing. If you are doing this cause you want more performance, try summit racing for performance cats and mufflers, that way you can have the best of both worlds.

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you last nite. I'm doing this bc the guy who's been working on my car I'm(& basically left me hangin) told me my cat's are plugged (2001 ford escape, 3 of em) &I'm a 61yr old disabled(92 lb treelimb fell on my head, leg) woman on very tight income due to all the health issues caused from this injury.All the couch mechanics as well as SE ones r telling me I don't need to run w cats, just cut ends off, stick a straight pipe in & good to go. I'm finding this much easier said than done. Back b4 injury I'd probably b doing this myself as I've put in toilets, sheetrocked, driven graders rough, had all girl painting crew & when I loved in keys for 23 yrs...caught & released 19 sailfish in 1 trip(5 myself)...but...finding someone ...geesh. I've heard about these mini cats & universal cats from bigdaddiesgarage.com & I'm wondering if I should go that route...the minis have O2 sensors in them so still gives ECM reading for CEL...& will an exhaust shop be able to put those in.. I'm basically looking for the cheapest route possible for driveability...NOT...the $800 I'm being told by some... There...hope that answers your question. The guy doing the work is my best friends "boyfriend"...I dont like him, never have, she pays for, buys everything..he has his own garage in Atlantic Beach-I've been w/o my car now a little over 2 months waiting on him...& I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place bc I'm poor, he does gratuitously& it's her boyfriend who she's CRAZY about so I can't say what an A-HOLE HE IS FOR LEAVING ME HANGING. NOT EVEN ANSWERING TEXTS...whew...got that off my chest..

78,115

I think that the universal units might be the way for you to go as they are the cheapest alternative and an exhaust shop can do the job. The rear O2 may have to be reworked, it just depends on the cats if they have the port or not.

Best Answer

Hey Tennisshoes...if you go into

Darn Tennisshoes...that's all I've been doin is getting this morning.finger is going funky. Anyways...in the archives here is a guy who used 2 mini cats in front upper cats in($49 ea) & universal on lower back for( he gave dimension- he's got same vehicle) check it out..advise me...

Texting this morning...Damn...phones got a mind if it's own

78,115

I finally found it, and it sounds good and is cheaper that I though it would be, but double check the prices as they may have changed.

Roger that