Citreon Desire C3 grinding noise

Asked by Jul 12, 2016 at 07:49 AM about the 2004 Citroen C3

Was trying to reverse out of the yard,  but heard horrible grinding noise. .. my
mechanic is off during the '12th' week in N Ireland, but says it could be
anything, including the gearbox... but as the nose is the same even when I roll it
forward in neutral when the engine is off,  it feels like a brake wear problem?

16,850

Could be brake pad is metal to metal grinding against the rotor. Does the grinding sound get worse when brakes are applied ?

Thanks very much! No, its the same noise, but when I applied the brakes, they worked ok, but it felt as if they'd jammed... have also just noticed that the driver side front wheel arch is closer to the wheel than the left side, so does this indicate a suspension problem rather than a brake issue? The noise does seem to be louder on the right hand side....

16,850

If the pad is metal to metal against the rotor the grinding is going to be consistent with or without brakes being applied so the best thing to do is remove wheels and do a inspection of brakes and suspension. With out doing a inspection would be just guessing at this point.

Thanks again... Will let you... my garage is closed all week due to the '12th July' holiday week in N Ireland.