fiberglass front fenders

Asked by Jan 16, 2009 at 01:33 AM about the 1962 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud

I  have the very first SC III (a sept. of 1962 car) SAZ1. It came to the states a little more than 30 years ago.  It has been carefully used and cared for since.  It is a wonderful normal looking car, that has fiberglass front fenders.  These appear to be normal very high quality RR parts.  Can anyone tell me if these are original and belong on the car.  I have 2 theories as to how they got there.  1st  In the process of redesigning the front end RR made the 1st car (or series of cars) with fiberglass fenders because it was easier and faster than stamping steel.  2nd someone in the automotive aftermarket might have created SCIII fenders in fiberglass to sell to SCI and SCII owners to update the look of their cars, and they might have ended up on this car after crash damage because they were easier and cheaper to get.  This second theory is kind of far fetched, but it is the only other possibility  I could think of. This car does not look like it has ever been crashed.  But who can tell on a 47 year old car.  If anyone has any info or ideas,  please let me know.  THANKS! Dennis

5

Just saw this . . . very interesting and I am trying to find out as I am looking at buying SAZ3 after having recently suffered a terrible accident (not my fault!) which destroyed my lovely SAZ29. I have a sneaky suspicion that SAZ3 also has fiberglass wings which I am not keen on as it was the steel of SAZ29's wing which kept me alive taking the impact and crumpling whilst resisting. I will let you know if I find out anything more (I will be at the HQ of the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts' Club in the next week as I live nearby and am heavily involved with the club. I will check what I can there). Steven

20

Rolls-Royce never offered fibreglass fenders on Cloud. They were all steel. These must be some after market construction which I find equally odd and something I have never heard of before.