Do I need to replace my thermostat

Asked by Jul 02, 2013 at 05:17 PM about the 2004 Vauxhall Vectra

I have a diesel vectra, 04 reg.  I bought it with about 60,000 miles on the clock.  Ever since I have had it I have had a problem when driving it over long distances.  After a while, or some hard driving it loses power, shows a spanner on the dashboard and I'm thinking that the engine goes into some safe mode.  Recently I've begun to think it could be that the engine is getting a little hot.  The temp gauge does not show that is undely hot but the spanner may appear after driving about half an hour if I am doing some hill climbing or driving hard.  Do you think it could be that the thermostat is not opening wide enough?

yes, if you can get your hands on a thermal gun, could point it at the radiator to see if that one is plugging and the heat is concentrated in one spot, and yes please put a new thermostat in at the correct temperature (195 usually)...be sure to dispose of the coolant in an environmentally responsible fashion....collect into jugs with a funnel, then take them to the auto parts store for recycling -or- if it smells okay is not tainted with corrosion just put that back in~...chances are that you will have to take it over to the autoparts shop and put new 50/50 mix in there...hopefully someone has not done something unfortunate and used common tap water to top it off with....this will lead to failures lik e you've been experiencing...would recommend a "coolant flush" like we used to do in 1993 with the garden hose and some compressed air, but it takes a special community to deal with the polluted water this creates~

here's the gig~

judge_roy Thanks for that. I'll get onto it. Brokenspanner

yes...the lazer dot with thermal report is always a treat to play with....like a kitty cat chasin' a lazer dot is the sense of abandonment that it gives~...also useful data....a coolant flush, yes, but replacement if needed...y'know~

why does your name remind me of John Lennon?

"a spanner in the works"~