Bad Engine Idle. und the running engine hoping to find the leak but I couldn't find anything. I think I'm going to have to take some of the engine apart to find the crack. What parts on the engine would you recommend I look at to find this stinking leak? Thanks!!

Jackie Wilson
245

Asked by Jackie May 02, 2013 at 12:09 PM about the 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bad Engine Idle.  1987 Pontiac Fiero GT and the engine has been idling big time. My
father drove it on the road the other day and it stalled. I took some brake cleaner and
sprayed around the running engine but I found no signs of cracks or leaking. I think I'm
going to have to take part of the engine apart to get to this dang leak. When looking for
the leak, which parts would you guys recommend I take a special look at? In other words,
which parts should I check that are known to crack or leak? Thanks! -Jackie

50,915

Since you didn't find a leak with the brake cleaner, let's assume that the problem is not caused by a leak. It could be the PVC or the EGR valves. It could be bad plug wires or a cracked distributor cap. No sense tearing a engine apart unless you have good reason to suspect that it's the cause.

judge_roy

Idle could be affected by starvin' power too, check to make sure that your battery is newish, free of corrosion and the connection to the chassis and motor are solid. Computer's get strange when served brown power~'87 ain't a computer intensive car tho, but ignition modules are semi- conductor controlled, and could be "wiggin' out" with insufficient power~

judge_roy

wave an unlit propane torch over each of the vacuum lines, then replace the old butyl-rubber ones (because they are cracked by now) with silicone rubber ones...blue or gates fleshy tone....they are sexy~

Jackie Wilson
245

Thanks guys!!

judge_roy

you are always welcome~