im having a problem, i took apart the caberater on my 1988 fiero and cant find the correct places to put the vaccum lines, i know where they go i just dont know which line to which, it ran fine before i took it apart, now i think that the lines are switched around, can you tell me what goes where or shoow me a site where i can find out, like a car manuel site?

konrad1988
0

Asked by konrad1988 Mar 16, 2007 at 08:50 PM about the 1988 Pontiac Fiero

i had to take the valve cover off and that reguired that i take like a senser that is covering one of the bolts, in the process i found that two of my vaccum lines had broken so i took the carb off because i could get them off, so now i think that i didnt hook the lines up right. the car feels like its missing, i changed the plugs, but it dies when i let of the gas, like when slowing down,it also in mid mpms misses real bad, can that be from the vaccum lines, also the gas pedal is laggy, you have to push it an inch or so to even get a response, any suggestions?

20,195

Check out a Chilton manual. It'll tell you everything you need to know. I got my manual from the library. Had everything I needed to know.

Brian Schnurr
95

Its actually a throttle body not a carberator. Do you have the 4 or 6 cyl, they have different vacuum routing? The vacuum lines should be different sizes also on the throttle bodyon the 6 cyl but go to the vapor canister travelling under the intake and to the Vacuum regulator. The TBI for 4 cyl has smaller lines that go to the purge valve on top of the vapor canister, the EGR the PCV valve, MAP sensor and the air cleaner. You should be able to hear a leak if you have one unplugged A picture may be better to explain the routing and the Chilton recomendation may be a good idea. If you plan on keeping the car I recommend purchasing one...check ebay for the manual. The GM shop manual is the best but chilton is good for the average job with some mechanical knowledge. The shop manual gives exact routing for the vacuum lines and emmission controls, the Chilton manual does have a good photo though.