Speedometer doesnt work sometimes..WHY????

Taylor Harrison
35

Asked by Taylor Jul 10, 2008 at 02:24 PM about the Chevrolet C/K 1500

What could be wrong with my speedometer if it only works sometimes? How do you fix it?

Taylor Harrison
35

Its an 03' k1500 with 50k miles on it

Michael McGrail
4,525

it is electonically controlled. You might be having an issue with a faulty speed sensor.

Jesse Brouse
595

I would get a new speed sensor, but you may also want to check your relays and fuses as well. Speed senors are just a laser beam that it usually located near the tire areas, depending on the year of your truck that is. But yea, check your fuses and relays sometimes they are either blown or the relay is no good.

Jeff Lusk
45

Check the wiring at the speed sensor. Sometimes connections open up or come loose. The speed sensor is connected to the transmission.

Stephen Ortiz
55

One key element is that when the speed sensor stops functioning the transmission will have shifting problems between gears

Michael McGrail
4,525

you are thinking of abs sensors. speed sensor is located in the side of the transmission. relay is a possible cause. fuse is not since the problem is intermittent.

Curtiss Alberda
50

my 1989 chevy does the same thing but i think their is somthing partly wrong behind the gauge cluster but when mine quites i hit the dash to get it to work

Jesse Brouse
595

yea I know, I tend to talk out of my ass to much and etc etc ... wasn't sure where the sensors were located ty for tellin me. and it could be the relay, I can't think of anything else...

Jackie Wormley
25

Mine does it also in an 88. I hit my dash and it works, when I get time I'm going to take the dash apart and se if there is a loose connection or something. I also have problems with the turn signals, ABS light, speedo, and shift light, from time to time.