Why wont my Tail Lights work???

Gotta94Chevy
135

Asked by Oct 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet C/K 1500 WT Standard Cab LB 4WD

My 1994 chevy 1500 brake lights, head lights, front parking lights and front and rear turn signals work......TAIL LIGHTS do NOT work.....have checked fuses and bulbs.....What could the problem be???

netnavagator
60

If you have checked to be sure there is 12V to the lights check further to be sure there is a solid ground path.

Gotta94Chevy
135

No i havent yet....ordered a new switch from Napa......will check that in the morning when they get it. If thats not the issue, i will use your suggestions.....Thanks for the reply.

John Leone
7,525

my guesses, switch, corrosion on the connector, bad ground, or loss of power on the feed wire for running lights...has to be one of those,

Gotta94Chevy
135

Well John.....gonna check the switch in the am.....bad ground or loss of power a little harder to deal with but has to be checked....Thanks Bro!

John Leone
7,525

let me know if i can help more...

Gotta94Chevy
135

Will do...

Gotta94Chevy
135

The switch was not the fix this am......The main wire harness connection at the 3 way at the rear of the truck was not clicked in tight....Go figure!....Had all lights but Tail Lights with this condition...I snapped it back and put elec tape to be sure it didnt work loose again....All is WELL NOW!!....Thanks for all the replies.

Millertpo1980
30

I have had that problem frequently with my '92 1500. Problem may likely be corrosion of the copper wiring inside the snap-on connectors (if you have them) where the connector blades pinch the copper conductors. Too much pressure from the blades can cut through the wire strands. Eventually, the last strand break off at the pinch point and there goes the circuit. You can trace the problem by turning your headlights on, then going behind the bumper and wiggling the wiring at different connection points while an assistant standing behind the vehicle tells you if and when he sees the tail lights come on. It is a problem that you can probably fix your self using a pair of wire strippers or a utility knife (be careful though), new snap connectors and safety glasses if you don't mind using a creeper to slide under the rear of the truck's bed. However, your local full service U-haul dealer can probably assess the problem for you for free. Repair may run around $30 for about an hour's work depending on where you live. Also, check your ground wire connections in the wiring harness as well. These problems can often result from the installation of after market trailer wiring harnesses where improper connections have allowed corrosion to enter the wire at the splice points.

RadiantHunt
10

Check the ground Wire under the bed in the back. Maybe re-strip it and wire it, It might of gotten corroded. Also check to see if you have a short or bad fuse.

Marymac23
150

i replaced the swicth on my breaks and the break lights are stll not working what can it be

Sandra Gusme
50

My 94 Chevrolet headlight don't work ball the other lights do...what can be the problem

Chevybrakelight
90

I have 1997 Chevy s10 brake light and hazard light won't work. Turn Signal works and I change the turn signal switch and brake switch. I checked the ground around under bed. It looked good and I cleaned. So I was wander what else I could check. Thanks

Frank Iovino
370

My tail lights are not working so are my interior lights and my dash board lights.please help me!!

ford2311
0

My 2007 milan mercury brake lights and signal work, but not my parking and tail lights. Do I need a new a whole new wiring assembly?

Kim Ames
20

I searched for this problem, found this, and wallah, same cure!!!!! THANKS YA'LL!!!! """""" Gotta94Chevy answered 2 years ago The switch was not the fix this am......The main wire harness connection at the 3 way at the rear of the truck was not clicked in tight....Go figure!....Had all lights but Tail Lights with this condition...I snapped it back and put elec tape to be sure it didnt work loose again....All is WELL NOW!!....Thanks for all the replies. """"""

Eric Knotts
30

My 1988 C2500 break lights and running lights stopped working. This happened 3 wks ago and fuse was blown so I replaced it and they worked a day then back off. Took it to mechanic and they was working and have been last 3 wks till tonite and same problem!! Checked fuse and its good so what else could it be????"

Robert Lee Hopkins
160

I have no tail lights my brake lights work my turn lights work. What do I do

Holkyl67
10

94 silverado, no tailights. When I replaced fuse it blew right away.....dead short. Any ideas where to start looking?