Why wont my Tail Lights work???

Gotta94Chevy
35

Asked by Gotta94Chevy Oct 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Reg. Cab 8-ft. Bed 2WD

My 1994 chevy 1500 brake lights, head lights, front parking lights and front and rear turn signals work......TAIL LIGHTS do NOT work.....have checked fuses and bulbs.....What could the problem be???

netnavagator
20

If you have checked to be sure there is 12V to the lights check further to be sure there is a solid ground path.

Gotta94Chevy
35

No i havent yet....ordered a new switch from Napa......will check that in the morning when they get it. If thats not the issue, i will use your suggestions.....Thanks for the reply.

John Leone
4,375

my guesses, switch, corrosion on the connector, bad ground, or loss of power on the feed wire for running lights...has to be one of those,

Gotta94Chevy
35

Well John.....gonna check the switch in the am.....bad ground or loss of power a little harder to deal with but has to be checked....Thanks Bro!

John Leone
4,375

let me know if i can help more...

Gotta94Chevy
35

Will do...

Gotta94Chevy
35

The switch was not the fix this am......The main wire harness connection at the 3 way at the rear of the truck was not clicked in tight....Go figure!....Had all lights but Tail Lights with this condition...I snapped it back and put elec tape to be sure it didnt work loose again....All is WELL NOW!!....Thanks for all the replies.

Millertpo1980
20

I have had that problem frequently with my '92 1500. Problem may likely be corrosion of the copper wiring inside the snap-on connectors (if you have them) where the connector blades pinch the copper conductors. Too much pressure from the blades can cut through the wire strands. Eventually, the last strand break off at the pinch point and there goes the circuit. You can trace the problem by turning your headlights on, then going behind the bumper and wiggling the wiring at different connection points while an assistant standing behind the vehicle tells you if and when he sees the tail lights come on. It is a problem that you can probably fix your self using a pair of wire strippers or a utility knife (be careful though), new snap connectors and safety glasses if you don't mind using a creeper to slide under the rear of the truck's bed. However, your local full service U-haul dealer can probably assess the problem for you for free. Repair may run around $30 for about an hour's work depending on where you live. Also, check your ground wire connections in the wiring harness as well. These problems can often result from the installation of after market trailer wiring harnesses where improper connections have allowed corrosion to enter the wire at the splice points.