Truck will niss fire and get low enough in rpm or idle and shut off

zandedan000
0

Asked by zandedan000 Aug 10, 2014 at 09:15 PM about the 1997 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

My 97 dodge ram 1500 with the 318 will
miss fire when i go down the road and when
i would come to a complete stop my rpms
would jump and then come to a low enough
rpm and the engine would just shot right
down... any suggestions on what it could
be? Im thinking either bad fuel pump or idle
sensor... but i just wanna make sure before i
throw money into a part i didnt need too fix

BoholMark
21,885

Start with the basics. Cap. Rotor. Wires. Spark Plugs. How old are they. Are they in proper working order? Give them a good visual inspection and get back to us.

zandedan000
0

I replaced all of then about a good year or so

BoholMark
21,885

How about the fuel filter? I think your truck is just to old for the free scan at auto zone. I hate to see you throw parts at it. So you think it could be a Cam Position Censor? Its got to be something that when it quits working the whole truck shuts down.

zandedan000
0

Well i replaced the fuel pump on the truck a yearago aswell

zandedan000
0

Is the fuel filter built on the pump or is there another one on the way up to the engine? And i did replace the o2 sensors on it a day ago but it was still doing it but the idle was nuch better but rpms would still jump... just sone more details

Jdmasfcuk
30

I don't think it's fuel problems your having. I'm gunna say it's your distributer cap or a coil pack. Try your plugs also build up or carbon could do it to

Deathjam4
2,285

the sudden surge would be from a miss fire the cylinder has more fuel in it then it needs and creates a bigger explosion this can damage the cylinder and valves. chances are which ever plug has the most carbon deposits when you pull them is the culprit

zandedan000
0

Well i decided to throw in a new iac sensor on it and it seems too be running much better so far but ill probably check all the plugs and the cap as well... im curious i do have either a push rod or a lifter going bad could that be an issue on causing the miss fire or sudden drop in rpm and shut off

Deathjam4
2,285

the only time those ware out is from improper lubrication or the wrong oil type being used. and yes it could cause a minor problem which will only get worse. try putting some slick 50 in with your oil and see if it helps its jsut a oil addative and won't hurt the engine.