1994 dodge 5.9 just shut off and wont start back up there is no spark or fire from coil or plugs. changed coil. still no spark.. poured gas in carb. still no start.

awayne03
30

Asked by awayne03 Apr 12, 2012 at 09:26 PM about the 1994 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

1994 dodge 5.9 just shut off  as i was driving it and wont start back up there is no spark or fire from coil or plugs.
changed coil. still no spark.. poured gas in carb. still no start.

aztec626bf
6,505

I would hook up to a scanner and see what code/s you get might save you some time and money.

Chris McGee
2,755

Would probably say a Crankshaft position sensor if no spark, or cam sensor. Could even be the PCM.

Mike Tritle
1,695

Also check for a open coil wire from distributor to coil. Good Luck!

Graeme Eigner
85

hall effect (magnetic pickup) in the distributor?

Mike Tritle
1,695

Distributor cam sensor only controls fuel injection in these engines. Ignition is triggered by the crank sensor located on the passenger side of the transmission bellhousing. I would bet that's the source of the problem here. You can check for PCM problems by using a voltmeter on the crank sensor connector. With the ingnition key on, engine not running, connect + voltmeter probe to the orange wire terminal and the - probe to the black/light blue wire terminal. You should see 8 volts. W/O that, you either have a bad PCM or a break in the wiring. Good Luck!

Best Answer
awayne03
30

I replace the crank sensor , distributor sensor thingy, then the brain box or engine computer still nothing so out of desperation I plugged in a extra relay I puled from junk yard to an empty relay plug thinking it could have maybe fell off and oops wires started smoking and then I lost all power to fuse box and ignition. after I got over being pissed at myself for doing that. The next morning I started searching the wiring and discovered someone had this problem before and rigged it.. as I found a inline fuse that had no power and a break in another wire. So I ran power back to the wire and repaired the broken wire and she fired right up and is running darn good again.

Mike Tritle
1,695

Glad you found it! That's a new one on us for sure. Thanks for the "Best Answer" BTW.