2003 Kia Spectra clutch has no pressure

Dareleth Deschain
5

Asked by Dareleth Jul 03, 2014 at 01:16 AM about the 2003 Kia Spectra Base

I have an '03 Kia Spectra. She's been grounded for a month or so because of
paperwork issues and a lot of needed basic maintenance. I tried to start her up to take
her to the mechanic, but met with some technical difficulties. The car starts fine, but
when I press the clutch, the pedal sinks immediately to the floor but does not actually
engage. It doesn't come out unless I reach down and pull the pedal up manually.
Seems like a hydraulic problem to me, but the brake fluid cylinder is at the proper
level, so the clutch should have fluid. I need to know if there's a way I can get this car
running enough to get her to the garage so I can have a pro work on her. Any help
troubleshooting is appreciated.

jamnblues
6,195

Hydraulic clutch? check for leaks in the system, at the master cylinder and the slave cylinder- either one of those can fail, tho, without leaking- it is an unpleasant job and you are right to take it to a good garage- a car can be driven without a clutch, but you have to know how to do it, and you risk damaging your tranny, and on this blog I don't wanna encourage outlaw behavior- just have it towed-

jamnblues
6,195

oh, and one more thing- the hydraulic brake system is separate from the hydraulic clutch system-

Dareleth Deschain
5

Damn. I was hoping there would be an easy fix to avoid the tow fee. Thanks for your help, jamnblues.