2002 Jeep Liberty has problems starting back up

Jazzbee08
0

Asked by Jazzbee08 Jul 15, 2013 at 02:54 PM about the 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD

So, I've had my 2002 Jeep for a couple years now. Only in the past few weeks have I had this problem when I run errands. I can start my car up just fine and drive it around. The temperature gauge goes to the halfway point buy never goes beyond that. If I turn the car off, go into a store and get my shopping done and come back within 15-20 mintues, the car won't start again, depending on how far I've driven. When I turn the key the engine and fuel lights come on, but both are perfectly fine and have been inspected by a service station. I usually have to wait about 20 mins or so before it starts up again, and the temperature gauge still doesn't go above the middle line. My friends had also borrowed my Jeep early in the summer for a trip and they had the same problem, but when they talked to a AAA representative they said it was something to do with the anti-theft system.

judge_roy

NO...it is a simple case of vapor-lock...the gasoline when next to the engine starts to boil...your system wants to see liquid for dispersion and control...it cannot control a gas vapor...when the gas STOPS boiling it returns to normal....not sure what you could do exactly will research some insulation to keep the engine heat away from the fuel line...

judge_roy

halfway up is good, any hotter, like in the red "melty zone" will continue to broil itself until smokin' if ran without coolant...you have a thermostat (under the water neck) probably a 195 or 212 for a hotter engine...will shop for "fuel line insulation" for you now~

judge_roy

here we go twenty beans a spool for the clothy-asbestozy reel~

judge_roy

I'd start at the fuel rail and work my way back~

judge_roy

Do a cooant flush and put in a new t-stat (they are cheap)~

judge_roy

if you were fine before...and suddenly you're NOT fine, would say the problem lies in the coolant, and clobberation nation in your cooling jacket~ You know but correct me if I am wrong...the electric cooling fan continues to run long after you've got the key out and am marchin' on into the costco~ it is designed to keep runnin' until the coolant drops down to a safe temperature...you might just ask if this feature is "stuck" in operation now, think that yours had it...am not crazy...ask your mechanic~

judge_roy

most likely I "nailed it" second time today...it was only through a process of asking the right questions we can figure it out~ kudos....me.~

judge_roy

researching there should logically be a "TIME delay relay" to accomplish this task but according to word on the street is the responsibility of the ECU and the thermal sensors (don't know how many offhand, but I guarantee there is an ambient air sensor) temperature at the block, at the radiator, am going to have to pull up a schematic and study it to gain some insight into the cooling system design~.....then again they pay me ZERO...and a little encouragement here and there so I don't have to do the heavy lifting and "hold up the show" an "GOOD MOVE" or "I tried that already" moving on now...

Michael Breiburg
10

I'm having the exact same issue with my '02 Jeep Liberty. Did you get it figured out? Was it the vapor lock/coolant issue? Please let me know, this has been confounding my mechanics for nearly half a year. You can email me at mike.breiburg@gmail.com

Matthew Powell
10

I'm also having a similar issue with my wife's '02 Liberty. However, I don't think it is due to vapor lock. When it fails to restart (such as after filling up at the gas station or coming back in from the 7-11), it doesn't even try to turn over. Doesn't vapor lock merely prevent the fuel from igniting in the carburetor? It appears to be electrical to me, like it doesn't sense that it is in Park. That doesn't explain why it will restart after a "cool down" period though, which sometimes is a half hour or so and sometimes after only a couple of minutes. It has also happened after only about a 5 minute trip to the gas station and then won't happen again for a few weeks. Very inconsistent and doesn't appear to be heat related.

tims1999
0

Here's what I did to fix it. My '02 Liberty won't start when hot. All dash lights work, everything seems ok but the engine won't crank until it cools down. I replaced the starter (no fix), I replaced the ignition switch actuator (no fix), I tested everything and couldn't find the problem. So I spent $10 for a push button start button. I ran a hot wire from the fuse box to the start button then a wire from the start button to the small starter wire. (Problem solved). Now when the car is warm and won't start I turn the key on and push the button.