2002 Jeep Liberty has problems starting back up

Jazzbee08
0

Asked by Jul 15, 2013 at 02:54 PM about the 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD

So, I've had my 2002 Jeep for a couple years now. Only in the past few weeks have I had this problem when I run errands. I can start my car up just fine and drive it around. The temperature gauge goes to the halfway point buy never goes beyond that. If I turn the car off, go into a store and get my shopping done and come back within 15-20 mintues, the car won't start again, depending on how far I've driven. When I turn the key the engine and fuel lights come on, but both are perfectly fine and have been inspected by a service station. I usually have to wait about 20 mins or so before it starts up again, and the temperature gauge still doesn't go above the middle line. My friends had also borrowed my Jeep early in the summer for a trip and they had the same problem, but when they talked to a AAA representative they said it was something to do with the anti-theft system.

judge_roy

NO...it is a simple case of vapor-lock...the gasoline when next to the engine starts to boil...your system wants to see liquid for dispersion and control...it cannot control a gas vapor...when the gas STOPS boiling it returns to normal....not sure what you could do exactly will research some insulation to keep the engine heat away from the fuel line...

judge_roy

halfway up is good, any hotter, like in the red "melty zone" will continue to broil itself until smokin' if ran without coolant...you have a thermostat (under the water neck) probably a 195 or 212 for a hotter engine...will shop for "fuel line insulation" for you now~

judge_roy

here we go twenty beans a spool for the clothy-asbestozy reel~

judge_roy

I'd start at the fuel rail and work my way back~

judge_roy

Do a cooant flush and put in a new t-stat (they are cheap)~

judge_roy

if you were fine before...and suddenly you're NOT fine, would say the problem lies in the coolant, and clobberation nation in your cooling jacket~ You know but correct me if I am wrong...the electric cooling fan continues to run long after you've got the key out and am marchin' on into the costco~ it is designed to keep runnin' until the coolant drops down to a safe temperature...you might just ask if this feature is "stuck" in operation now, think that yours had it...am not crazy...ask your mechanic~

judge_roy

most likely I "nailed it" second time today...it was only through a process of asking the right questions we can figure it out~ kudos....me.~

judge_roy

researching there should logically be a "TIME delay relay" to accomplish this task but according to word on the street is the responsibility of the ECU and the thermal sensors (don't know how many offhand, but I guarantee there is an ambient air sensor) temperature at the block, at the radiator, am going to have to pull up a schematic and study it to gain some insight into the cooling system design~.....then again they pay me ZERO...and a little encouragement here and there so I don't have to do the heavy lifting and "hold up the show" an "GOOD MOVE" or "I tried that already" moving on now...

Mike Breiburg
30

I'm having the exact same issue with my '02 Jeep Liberty. Did you get it figured out? Was it the vapor lock/coolant issue? Please let me know, this has been confounding my mechanics for nearly half a year. You can email me at mike.breiburg@gmail.com

Matthew Powell
30

I'm also having a similar issue with my wife's '02 Liberty. However, I don't think it is due to vapor lock. When it fails to restart (such as after filling up at the gas station or coming back in from the 7-11), it doesn't even try to turn over. Doesn't vapor lock merely prevent the fuel from igniting in the carburetor? It appears to be electrical to me, like it doesn't sense that it is in Park. That doesn't explain why it will restart after a "cool down" period though, which sometimes is a half hour or so and sometimes after only a couple of minutes. It has also happened after only about a 5 minute trip to the gas station and then won't happen again for a few weeks. Very inconsistent and doesn't appear to be heat related.

tims1999
30

Here's what I did to fix it. My '02 Liberty won't start when hot. All dash lights work, everything seems ok but the engine won't crank until it cools down. I replaced the starter (no fix), I replaced the ignition switch actuator (no fix), I tested everything and couldn't find the problem. So I spent $10 for a push button start button. I ran a hot wire from the fuse box to the start button then a wire from the start button to the small starter wire. (Problem solved). Now when the car is warm and won't start I turn the key on and push the button.

sglow
20

This might be a dead end now, but I have the exact same issue with 2002 Jeep Liberty, which has been in the shop 4 times x 4 days each, and nada. Only happens in hot weather, and I live in SC, so 8 months of the year. On going issue for 3 years now. I need HELP

Mike Breiburg
30

This problem got solved for me by taking it to the Aamco in Glendale, California. Last summer. Turned out to be a transmission thing, or so they told me. I'm not entirely sure on it but it had to do with an overheating failsafe. The engine code we got was: "P1698 BAD TRANSMISSION MODULE//NO GROUND OUTPUT FROM TRANS-MODULE TO STARTER RELAY//RECC DEALERSHIP" I think if you take that info to your mechanic, he might set you down a patch that leads to a resolution. If not, I'd call the Glendale Aamco. Forgot the name of the person I dealt with but if you describe the problem, they should have some experience in dealing with it now. I've seen enough messages over the years detailing this same issue, I'm surprised Jeep isn't already on it.

Mike Breiburg
30

*path, not patch. Also, I should mention, after they got it fixed, it was perfect for almost a year. Than a few weeks ago, the problem came back. At least it's very rare now but, maybe twice or so within a week but I'm worried it might come back as it gets hotter. This is the problem that won't go away. However, it was fine for almost a year after the service and when it did come back, just a few times and hasn't happened since.

sglow
20

Great. An almost impossible problem to diagnose and also a never ending one. Story of my life

sglow
20

I have 6 recall notices on this. Would one of this fix this?

Donna Daisylov
10

My car is doing the same thing Its been to the mechanics. ..its been to the auto electrician and after alot of money and headaches about to dump it. Everyone seems to have the same problem that no one can fix Trust me after this i will never ever buy a jeep again

sglow
20

Donna, is yours a 2002 Jeep Liberty?

Michael DiSantos
0

I have to say, I do like ..tims1999..idea !! Since no-one is able to accurately diagnose or come up with a fix..I say, by-pass the problem altogether !! (if it really works;( I`m also beginning to think that Jeep..could give a rats *^# for the "older" consumers of their products..I`ve had 3 Jeeps so far..THIS IS THE LAST !! 02` Liberty 3.7 V..gas addict..