Buying a northern car

RumCake
0

Asked by RumCake Jun 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM about the 2008 Volkswagen Eos Komfort

Hi all, I am a Floridian, but I'm considering buying a car in Virginia. Most of my Florida
friends advise against buying a northern car, because of accelerated rust damage from all
the salt on the roads in winter. It's a 2008 VW EOS, with about 50k miles and all
maintenance done. Is this a valid concern that I should watch for, or just Florida boys
being partial to Florida cars?

14,285

Very Very Valid

Blockhead
30

I owned a 03 vw beetle for 6 years and never had any rust on it and we traded it with 110k. And Ohio uses a lot of salt! Vw dipped the whole car in wax to prevent rust. Not sure if they were still doing it in 08 but I wouldn't be afraid. If you can't drive there to see it their are services on the Internet like lemon squad that charge but offer many inspection choices before you buy something. They will send someone to check it out for you and give you a report. Hope this helps

jamnblues
4,015

how long are you gonna keep this car? really- rust issues are only valid on classics- nobody keeps cars longer than 8-10 years now anyway- these modern cars are not made to be collectibles- don't worry, be happy

Scott Sr.
1,795

20 years ago...that advice was quite valid. Cars sat upon solid steel frames and rarely were washed from below. Nowadays, double-sided galvanized unibodies are the standard. Even self-serve carwashes have underbody spray action. And, all but the most far north regions have reduced the use of corrosive chemicals to clear roads. Virginia is a temperate state with pretty decent roads and readily available vehicle maintenance and cleaning services. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a vehicle there if the price was right and the car is pristine.