brake squeal

kenv
0

Asked by kenv Jun 11, 2012 at 10:16 PM about the 2008 Scion tC Base

2008 TC, 36k miles, A LOUD squeal from rear brakes first thing in the morning when backing out of my driveway. Did I say LOUD. Had brakes checked and dealers response no visable issues i.e. pads fine and unable to duplicate sound

114,175

Over night, especially if you live where it's humid, moisture will help rust the rotors rather quickly, so first thing in the morning, the pads rub this rust off, and you hear a squeal. It's pretty much normal and if you can live with it, your mechanic is right, the pads are probably fine. If you don't like the sound, you can always try new pads. But no guarantee the noise will go away.

Best Answer
James Boos
335

Tom is right. I live near the water and sometimes when i leave in morning for work my brakes squeal but only for a short distance

kenv
0

Mechanic visited problem again; rear rotors are most likely glazed. They turned the rotors and installed new pads. Fine for several days, but squeal is back today...not as bad. It was worth a try; cost me for the pads. What is confusing, I own 4 cars (Lexus GS, Camry XLE, Sequoia and Scion), have lived in same locations for 20 plus years and only the Scion has this issue.

NatalieSydoriak N JasonHumphrey
55

Agree w/all off above b/c it happened to mine along with one squeak being a small clip on back brakes....mine was barely covered w/in warranty period...otherwise it a small plastic clip thats lik$200.