top speed for a corvette

Mark Woung

Asked by Mark Sep 10, 2008 at 01:15 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

how fast does a 2003 corvette go.

Andrew Schenk

about 285km/h.. which is pretty fast, but not as fast as it took me to google it lol

I am new for this post.Anyway nice posting and I am really impressing. Thanks for posting...... ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Andrew William Used Cars

Kevin Valdron

300 km/h

Sheldon Oetken

no not 300 km/h its gonna be around 280 km/h(175 mph), unless its upgraded or a zo6

Donald Hess

About 173 (drag limited) Although few would push it up to this speed. The bonnet starts to lift at the rear. The Z06 would go faster (gear limited)

Laura DeVita

150 or maybe 200?

Keith Kmiec

The POSTED speed limit, Duh!

nice toys.

A coupe will go 174 with a six speed transmission. A convertible will go 165 with a automatic, or 168 with a stick. By the way the computer lets your car go faster with the top up and the windows closed. Try it, it's pretty cool.

I know that the cruise control will work at 165.

It all depends on the length of your driveway, the gearing and HP you have under the hood. Also don't forget the body alterations. Racing configured Corvettes will hit near 225 MPH, stock everything was around 160 MPH to 185 MPH if you were going down hill.

Depends on how far you push the pedal.

Actually the body aerodynamics is a limiting factor. My C-3 kept too much air under the hood and above 135 the front end got very light at at 155 (my top speed three times) there was almost no controlling the steering. That's why guys like John Greenwood did such modifications to the body of the Corvettes he raced.

The 2nd and 3rd generation Corvettes were notorious for getting very light in the front end at high speeds. The C3 looked a lot sleeker than the C2 but later wind tunnel testing showed that it was actually worse. In 80, the new front end helped a little but the 84 was the first year that the body was designed with hours of wind tunnel testing, even the wheels were specifically designed to help the cars aerodynamics, and the C5 and C6 just continued to get better.

Thats why,even as a 2002 corvette owner(Z51)I have trusted my 70 Dodge Charger with the 426 Hemi and built up to appox 650 HP better than my vette or any vette for that matter,no matter what the HP on those vettes are.Why?Because in a straight line drag(quarter mile to half mile)max and the weight distribution,heavier body,ect,I would trust and feel much safer in the Charger than the fiberglass vette.The vette would have a higher top end speed,but that does not matter because with a standard quarter mile race,my dodge would win reaching about 142 MPH in 9.8 seconds with street tires.Not even the Z06 can top that,even if the Z06 could do 250 MPH!And in a half mile,its my firm opinion that I would be far enough ahead to still win the half mile race.After a half mile,or even after a quarter mile,who passes who is insignificant because i am speaking of an official drag quarter mile race,not some European race,miles long on windy narrow cliffs!

The Corvette and Porsche for that matter are designed as spots cars which race road courses with turns and twists, not just straight line racing only. A fixed axel car is more stable running a quarter mile race than a swing axle car. This was talked about for years in the 60s and again in the 70s. It really surprises me that Corvette owners think their car is designed for drag racing. If these people are true car enthusiasts they'd put a 90 degree turn in the middle of the quarter mile. In the 60s and 70s, Corvette C-2 makes were used for quarter mile runs as they were solid axle and had better weight distribution and control. The Chrysler Corp. built big cars with big engines and made them run a quarter mile or even a mile. The 70s Dodges and Plymouths ran very strong and fast but their flaw as all go and no wahoo. Very poor breaks. They could get up to 160 but couldn't stop for squat. The cars also were hard to steer and control at high speed. Why do you think most of the Face Book racing of the sports cars are rolling starts? Swing axels don't hold the ground as a single straight axel does. No argument there, and there never should be. As a picture will show, a C-7 Z-06 may be fast, but a tree still can stop it.

Well,the big picture with me is that the straight line drag racing is better and safer anyway.Whipping around corners ect,has never been my cup of tea.I prefer a 10 to 12 second straight line race and get it over with!Going 160-200+miles like some Corvettes can do(especially with those supercharger bolt on's)and driving a pieces of fiberglass without a rowbar,is somewhat crazy.So,i'll get on my c5 occasionally against some mustang,but since i know the corvette is a death trap,even with more airbags(and my 70 dodge had none)....i'll only put it up to maybe 125,and then straight lines only on an open highway at 3am with no traffic!In my opinion,vettes like the Z06 are overkill.I've seen the Z06 in action several times,and noticed how many owners lose the traction in 2nd or 3rd gear after the main torque sets in.I say overkill with HP in many vetts,because they were meant for touring and whipping around the curves with great traction,but not necessarily racing on the street around the curves and doing 150-200+.Too dangerous today,as opposed to 25 years ago.I know,I was a serious street racer from the early 70's to about 1993.