Since Suzuki will no longer be selling in North America, at least that's what I've heard, what will this do to the price of repairs and maintenance?

Misa
10

Asked by Misa Apr 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM about the 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Premium

I am (possibly) days away from purchasing a Grand Vitara and am concerned that repairs
and maintenance on a car that is no longer sold in the States will be hard to come by at
least and extremely costly at worst.  Should I be concerned about this?

judge_roy

a car called Saturn also stopped makin' 'em...doesn't stop the availability of replacement parts, if this is what you're askin'~ no effect.

13,315

Not really. Car manufacturers are required to provide replacement parts for their vehicles for 10 model years. In this case thru 2016. After that parts will still be available for many years to come. I work at NAPA and at my store we have, on the shelf, right now, brake shoes for a 1955 Packard Clipper. This is just one example. We can easily get parts for vehicles going back to the '60s, '70s, '80s, and early '90s. Usually the same day if our local warehouse has it. Most often times they do. Where it gets tricky is things like trim pieces, or that climate control part for the 1983 Cadillac. Generally speaking though it's been my experience parts don't start getting scarce until a vehicle starts approaching the 20 year mark. With a 2006 model you're safe for a long time. Enjoy your new car!! HTH. -Jim

45,925

"Should I be concerned about this?" - You should be concerned if you plan on selling or trading the Grand Vitara in the next few years. It's not going to hold as much value as a make that has a local dealer. If you plan on keeping it for the long haul, that doesn't matter as much unless it's in a accident.

Misa
10

I actually plan on driving it til the wheels fall off. The car I have now is a '99 Grand Am that has been paid off for a couple of years. My 16 year old is getting it and we need two cars or I really wouldn't be looking now. You're answers were very helpful! Thank you!