High RPM's on highway and want lower RPM's

Digs1022
0

Asked by Digs1022 Dec 07, 2012 at 03:50 PM about the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta GLS VR6

Have 2001 Jetta with VR6 engine. Have high RPM's on the interstate and want lower RPM's. RPM's are at 3000 Highway and 2000 in town. want to lower RPM's to gain fuel mileage. Can I do that?

Michael Mierzejewski
1,700

Other than changing the gearing, you cant change where the engines powerband is. Try adding some aftermarket items like a performance intake and exhaust system, and keeping you oil fresh and you car tuned up.

4,745

3000 highway isnt bad, they only was to change it is as said but changing the diff in the transaxle.

Daniel Adams
5

Although it may seem that you get better fuel economy with lower RPMs, it is not necessarily true. It deals with how hard does the engine have to work to keep it in motion. Efficiency is equal to the amount of output energy / total energy. The higher the RPMS, typically there is more power/torque. For the sake of this instance, we will equate it to more potential energy. The required work output is variable dependent upon ones speed and resistance. At higher speeds, you need more energy to maintain motion since resistance (air friction) is higher. Therefore you need a greater potential energy to achieve a better efficiency. That explains why the RPMs are higher, from a production point of view a manufacture develops what will work for the average consumer who travels typically between 50-70 mph on the highway and will need the additional power to handle winds or slight inclines. Yes, a better efficiency can be attained if one can do the math for your specific commute. The gains would probably be marginal and the engine RPM may rise for some individuals (more hills and/or more air resistance) and lower for others (flat, low air resistance).

Dusan Duric
15

You can put slightly taller tires as in 225/50/17 which will slightly lower your rpms and torque since the wheels will have a longer rotation.

Rado Zet
145

try slowing down, this usualy keeps the revs down ;)