Door problems

ravens55
45

Asked by ravens55 Jun 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM about the 1997 Volkswagen Jetta GL

My door on my 97 jetta won't open I mean it locks and does everything a normal door
would do but it just doesn't let me open and close it I took off the door panel and tried to
open it from the inside of the car but it still doesn't open. What's going on? How can I get
my door to open and close?

judge_roy

someone needs to inspect the attachment points to the latch and lever...something got bent/something isn't right with the geometry there...an inspection of the mounting points of the mechanisms is in order~

judge_roy

perhaps one of the screws fell off....that'd do it~

14,185

I had the same problem with a VW rabbit got the door panel off but could not find anything wrong with the latch that was visible, so I got some penetrating oil and soaked the latch and let set overnight, the next morning I tried the to open the door from the outside and bingo it worked, took out the latch assembly and it was badly rusted so I replaced it. Just my 2 cents worth.

ravens55
45

What do you think I could to open it up because I took the panel off and all I can see is a little white box ran by a vacuum line , air and power it's locked so how can I open it

judge_roy

take a day, go to pickNpull and violate a donor vehicle...an opportunity to learn a few things about YOUR car as well~

ravens55
45

Thanks guys and I will try the penetrating oil but I can only open it from the door handle inside the car because the door handle on the outside of the door well someone decided to take it From me but yea hopefully the oil will help me open it from inside I will let you guys know what goes on

judge_roy

USE Tri-flo w/teflon...this is the stuff bicyclists use on their chains~

14,185

What I can find is the vacuum actuator has went bad, looks like a common problem. The only advice I have right now is make sure that the latch assembly is getting vacuum.