i am possibly going to purchase a 1997 jeep grand cherokee laredo the gentleman said there were 100,000 miles on it when i test drove it yesterday the odometer said 199,999 miles he said he just got the engine replaced and the mileage from that vehicle transferred to the jeep is this possilble

shellie
0

Asked by Feb 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM about the 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

get the vin and check the carfax. If this one is that important to you, would be nice if you knew if it had it's noted maintainence,,,,prior owners...etc.

Racer_X
22,125

He is lying to you! It's NOT legal to manually adjust the odometer on a car. Don't walk away from this deal...R-U-N away!!

I've changed out speedometer clusters before. This guy may be legit. Check the carfax...the VIN will tell the truth.

Racer_X
22,125

I hear you on the Car Fax thing, but being told the car has 100k and then being told...opps! I meant 199k miles makes the Seller suspect, IMO. No way I would buy a car with kind of mileage anyway. Also, WHY would he put in a motor with higher mileage than the original motor?? Doesn't make sense to me....Shellie, you're setting yourself up for a fall, my dear.

...this whole thing was bad moo-joo, the 1971 Volvo 240 received a speedometer from a previously salvaged (but active titled) 240 from 86. The car was a marvel of preposterous needy repairs...and was a recall for the wiring CAUSING fires! Like a dummy went and meticulusly replaced all feeds from this spaghetti after payin' 250 for a NOS one. head gasket was leakin somethin terrible. replaced all belts, hoses, but the exhaust set of three rubber hangers were fussy and impssible to find Bastard caught me for around $2500, did not catch fire, but could not be assembled with any degree of involvement anymore. Be nice if it burst into flames....lesson here NEVER TRY TO rescue a damsel in distress. They are money pits and you still end up with a crappy thing that you would not stand behind. Funkin' around with odometers is just STUPID!...will never buy/do not trust Volvo. Sounded like a steamtrain at 65 and was puffin and huffin, my Toyota is silent and wants to go to speeds above 85!

Why would you put an odometer with MORE miles on it? whew someone left the limburger cheese sittin out too long~ regardless an additional lifetime of mileage would show itself on wear on the brake pedal for one. Looseness in the water pump and steering column. There are TWO things Smell the interior. Smell the exhaust. I could elaborate....if it was a woman's car might have trash and kids goobering that grape jelly into things, but would smell nice. If it was a smoker's car, the headliner would be stained and various burns on the plastic parts. The exhaust does require a bit of anylitical spectroscopy of the nose. You probably can spot a stinker one that has oil and coolant in the exhaust. also the color of the exhaust and whether or not it idles nice and steady or with a hiccup...there are many telltale easy to spot thingies to look for-