1985 corvette suffered hurricane water damage in hurricane Ike and I am starting restore, What new technology suspension, electrical harnesses and user friendly replacement parts are available now?

Asked by Tipton123 Feb 26, 2014 at 10:07 AM about the 1985 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

need to rebuild everything mechanical and electrical on 85 corvette.  What new suspension and brakes would you recommend to make the ride better? Is there a good place for electrical harness for this year model I can research?

Try these guys: http://www.duntovmotors.com/vintage-racing-cars- parts.php

I hate to tell you this, but you will put more money in to it restoring it than you will ever get out of it. I would just sell it as is and just get rid of it. Plus if it say anything on the carfax that will also hurt you too. hope this helps.

i can only agree with the colorado car guy,i have a 1991 corvette with 85 thousand miles on it,its true worth is about 4000 dollars,however i just spent over 5 thousand on it in keeping it maintained and 90 percent of the cost was labor.if you want a fresh 1985 corvette you need to just buy a super low mile car.it costs alot of money to maintain these cars,it is something you must love to do.

Best Answer

I am a fan of restoring cars. Yes they are bottomless pits that we throw money into but when you get done(probably never cause there is always something else you will want to do) you will have something that you put your heart and soul into. Gets your kids or grand kids involved too. They will learn just how much fun it can be to build thier own cars. This one is a 91 3000 gt sl that me and my son did for his first car. This is at his first car show. Sure it would have cost less to just buy him something to drive but then we would not have spent all that time covered in oil and grit. Memories you can never take away from him.

Here is my project. 85 Z28. And again sure I could go buy one already redone but I would never really know what I have.

Tipton123. Sorry my above chatter does not answer your question. Good luck with your rebuild

thanks all. I will probably just sell as is.

IF your want to rebuild your "water" damaged car, your must first decide what really needs replacing and what can wait for future replacement. First you have not told us what type of damage was done. Was it under water, blown over and fiberglass, glass, water and frame damage? If the engine was in good running condition, perhaps a $500 tare down, clean up, new bearings, and a possible new cam only if needing replacement, or a rebuilt engine or crate engine. Transmission needs to be gone through to remove water and grit? More money to spend. Rear end needs new grease, wheel bearings, gas tank and lines need to be cleaned out and all filters replaced. Interior if it was submerged, pulled out, placed in the dumpster, sanitize the inside to rid it of mold, all new electrical, and seats, door panels, have the instrument panel checked, power steering gone through, new alternator? the cooling system cleaned out, new electrical connections, fuse boxes, relays, computers, sensors, washer for the windows, wipers, and the list will go on. So depending on the damage done, what needs to be replaced, the cost of getting the replacement parts, and assuming you will be doing most work, what will it cost? To sell a flooded car will not bring much money as it is very expensive to completely rebuild. But you can, depending on your love for the car. If it is $10,000 or more to get it running, look at what is out there in a Corvette for $10,000. You may be surprised.