I am trying to sell my 1985 Corvette, how much should I list it for?

Maggie Sorge
30

Asked by Maggie Oct 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have a 1985 Corvettee in pretty good condition. I have researched online but there is a
huge range in the pricing. I have seen anything from about $4,000 to over $12,000. My
car is in average condition. Nothing major is wrong with it, just some cosmetic stuff like
needing new carpet and some body work and a paint job. The leather is perfect and the
tires are like new. The instrument panel needs to be refinished because it is faded and
it has an after market steering wheel and stereo. It still has the factory sound system
with he exception of the actual stereo. The wheels are Corvette wheels but not the
ones that came on this year model. Also, it is missing the headliner for the Targa top.
It has a new A/C compressor, new window regulators, new battery and tinted windows.
The car runs great and I am getting a lot of people interested, but I have been unable to
get anyone to actually come look at it. Please help because I need to sell it soon.
Thanks!

Maggie Sorge
30

Also, the car has just under 100k miles.

68,375

Maggie, what price do you have it listed for? Based on the condition you described, I'd say you could get $4-$5K. If it was in excellent condition and needed nothing, then you'd be selling around $7k, or the $12K which is a retail price

Maggie Sorge
30

I have it listed for $8k, and willing to negotiate.

Maggie Sorge
30

What can I do to improve the condition to get closer to my $8k mark?

68,375

You'd have to fix replace the interior and repaint the car, which would require you to spend another $10K-$20K to restore it close to new. Then it will be worth $8K. Not worth in my book.

Maggie Sorge
30

Yeah, I was thinking to put a few hundred or up to 1k in it to bring in several more thousand....

68,375

You can try, but no guarantee's. It's all in finding that perfect seller. Good Luck!

85vett
0

Maggie, I’m chiming late here but, if you were to put 10k -20k as Tom stated you would have a “Show Car”. That’s not a realistic price… You can go to Maaco and get a $500 -$800 paint job and that alone will help you get better money for it. Maybe get it painted and then have it detail for a couple hundred more bucks and this car will look great.